Monday, July 31, 2006

Love's Inquisition

You are not pushing me, I do not see you as a Gestapo making demands and threatening me with medical instruments. I do, however, see myself that way.. and it cracks me up really, to see myself in an eyepatch badgering my own heart because really..that's just the way I operate these days. It is sad, I suppose..for gone are the days of open windows and spilling myself out all dizzy and young over the chest of some beloved. I don't know, maybe those days will come again. I hope so. When I speak of Love, I mean just that..Love in and of itself..and what it asks of me. The way I see it, when we fall in love it is no longer just two people but something new they have created together, some new entity that tugs and guides us and its ways are sometimes as mysterious as any acts of Providence. It stomps its foot, demands faith and vulnerability and all manner of frightening things to a still tender-hearted sullen girl such as myself. It is this entity that I speak to, not you. Look, I'm just a person and I have doubts that hang off my shoulders in crooked angles. I don't know if I can step up, I don't know how brave I can be in the face of it, certainly I am not as strong in the chest as I once was. I know I can't do it alone. Yes, it is true that I sometimes wonder if I can do it at all. Surely you can relate.

The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half-full, but I have bowel cancer.

Love is an act of the will, according to Augustine.
Things count because we say so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home