Thursday, April 06, 2006

Julie's Poem

If you had given me a chance
I'd like to think I could of said all the right things.
Things like:

Honey
Let me hold your heart awhile
because I know that it's heavy.
I know...
How time swings like an axe
Brain breaks like an egg
When love leaves a smear of sorrow in the bed
But dreams of vows interrupt the Here and Now
Say never to forever and ask yourself how
you're gonna put YOUR story back together...a house of cards to withstand the stormy weather
of a future inevitable..thus, forgettable...so throw out the regrettable, take a picture of what's
livable
and hang it on the wall.
Now look at it.
Are you in it?
Damn, Julie, that's the most important ingredient
wish you could take a Magic Marker and draw yourself in but..
Magic never worked for me either.
So
Maybe you fucked up.
So what?
Mistakes are tough but chalk it up to a lesson and drop the lowest grade
What's your average?
There are monsters in this world, sure-
Lost causes wearing their souls inside out
Hearts so sick they can only whimper in the dark..begging for a mercy shot
But you...
I know you.
You were the first infant I ever held
A shiny pink thing too heavy for my 7 year old arms
Your girl-wicked laugh
whenever you beat my ass at badminton
You shy sweet delinquent sucking down stolen beers behind Granmother's house
Oh Julie.
There's not a goddamned thing you could ever do to make me quit believing that
YOU belong HERE.
Don't go.
Don't you go...and drive that car to a Lowe's hardware parking lot
where the fuck did you get that gun, anyway?
Don't you leave that note
a text so empty of explanation just-
Take care of my dogs.
Take care of my kid.

Don't go
Because at 19 you haven't given life a chance to give back
For Providence to reach down and snap you back up by your bra-strap
and believe me, it can.

Wait.
Wait.
It's almost Christmas.

Maybe sometimes the stregnth to live isn't something that can be earned-
it's something that is given.
Maybe it's wrapped up and waiting for you
under that tree.
And tomorrow you can open it.

so stick around tonight.

It just might be worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger emily said...

For the first time, perhaps, I get poetry, beyond the traditional witty pun, clever turn of phrase, or verbally sketched beautiful image. I see the poem from the inside out. Thank you for putting it into words. I miss her too.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home